If you have an aspiring astronomer in your house, take note! Beginning on Monday, May 15, Deerfield Public Library cardholders will be able to check out an Orion Star Blast telescope. A gift to the Library from the Lake County Astronomical Society’s LoanStar Program, the telescope comes with everything needed for night sky viewing:
- EZ Finder
- Instruction Manual
- Audubon Constellation Book
- Sky Map for the current month
The moon, Mars, and Mercury are a few of the highlights for viewers in the month of May.
A few quick FAQs:
- The telescope can be borrowed for one (1) week at a time.
- It can be checked out from and must be returned to a staff member at the Youth Services desk.
- Youth Services staff has been trained by a member of the Lake County Astronomical Society to troubleshoot the telescope.
- Due to the risk of permanent blindness from viewing the sun, a parent signature is required for those under 18 years old wanting to check out the telescope.
With a value of over $200, it is not possible for everyone to purchase their own telescope, but now all Deerfield Public Library cardholders will have access to one through the Library. We hope that the telescope provides both a fun and educational activity, and inspires people to learn more about space.
Interested in learning more about astronomy? Take a look at the astronomy books in the Library’s collection.