Reading Takes You Everywhere! And if you have a Deerfield Public Library card, you can also visit the moon this summer—well, kind of! Deerfield Public Library card-holders are able to check out one of three Orion StarBlast telescopes, which were gifted to the Library from the Lake County Astronomical Society’s LoanStar Program.
The telescopes come with everything needed for night-sky viewing:
- EZ Finder
- Instruction Manual
- Audubon Constellation Book
- Sky Map for the current month
The moon, Jupiter, and Saturn are a few of the highlights for viewers this summer.
A few quick FAQs:
- Telescopes can be borrowed for 1 week at a time.
- They can be checked-out from and must be returned to a staff member at the Youth Services Desk.
- Youth Services staff has been trained by a member of the Lake County Astronomical Society to troubleshoot the telescope.
- Due to the risk of permanent blindness from viewing the sun, a parent signature is required for those under 18 years old wanting to check-out the telescope.
Not everyone can purchase their own telescope, but all Deerfield Public Library cardholders have access to one through the Library. We hope that the telescope provides both a fun and educational activity, and inspires people to learn more about space.
Interested in learning more about astronomy? Take a look at the astronomy books in the Library’s collection.