Are you ready to ring in the New Year? Want your kids to go to bed before midnight? Don’t want to stay up late yourself? Ring in the New Year at noon or anytime you’d like using this countdown video created by the Youth Services staff. Have your child countdown along with us. Download our crown template to decorate or draw your own to wear. Grab a shaker egg or any other noisemaker and have fun celebrating loud and proud!
Need a simple noisemaker idea? Let your child scoop some uncooked rice/beans, or beads into a plastic container. Make sure the container is tightly closed and let them make some noise, at least for a few minutes.
Talk to your child about their wishes for the New Year. Is there something they’d like to do or learn about? Maybe they would like to see the Library host a particular program or check out a book on their favorite animal. Share their responses with us here and be entered into our New Year Raffle.
Want a quieter celebration? Check out these great New Year books available through the Library.
- Freedom Soup written by Tami Charles and illustrated by Jacqueline Alcántara *EAudiobook and Read-Along Video available free through HOOPLA
- Shanté Keys and the New Year’s Peas written by Gail Piernas-Davenport and illustrated by Marion Eldridge *Ebook available free through HOOPLA
- Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela! written by Alexandra Alessandri and illustrated by Addy Rivera Sonda
- The Stars Will Still Shine written by Cynthia Rylant and illustrated by Tiphanie Beeke
- Squirrel’s New Year’s Resolution written by Pat Miller and illustrated by Kathi Ember
- First Night written by Harriet Ziefert and illustrated by S.D. Schindler
- Every Month Is a New Year: Celebrations Around the World written by Marilyn Singer and illustrated by Susan L. Roth