April 22nd is Earth Day so this month’s Grab & Go kit features recycled/repurposed materials. To make these kits I gathered supplies that the Youth Department already had and repurposed mason jar lids that were leftover from a program. There are lots of cool projects you can use jar lids for but I decided on these bright suncatchers which can be hung in your bedroom window.
Inside each kit you will find:
- Ring part of a jar lid
- Circle template with/without a design
Supplies you’ll want to grab from home:
- Paper towel
- Vegetable or Olive Oil
- Use markers to design or color in a circle. I’ve included both a blank circle and a pre-designed circle in each kit. Designs may vary.
- Cut out the circle and trim to fit inside your jar lid.
- Place the circle on a paper towel and swab it with olive or vegetable oil using the cotton ball. Make sure to cover all of it. You may want to test a small part of your design to be sure it doesn’t cause your marker to run. The oil coating will turn your paper design translucent so that sunlight can shine through. Set this aside to dry.
- Decorate your lid using the yarn provided or anything else you might have at home. Some may want to paint it or glue beads on. I used my yarn to create a design by wrapping it around the lid using an over and under method.
- Make sure you leave some yarn to tie on as a hanger for your suncatcher!
- Once your design is fairly dry you can place it within the circle ring – you might have to trim a bit more and/or wish to use glue to hold it firmly in place.
- Voila! You have a suncatcher! Now find a sunny window and let this creation brighten up your day.
Please Note: These suncatchers also make really fun cat toys.