Happy June! I hope you all have been enjoying your summer vacation. This month, our kids Grab & Go craft is Pool Noodle Pals. I wanted to put something together sturdy enough to withstand vacations and outdoor play, and pool noodles can withstand a lot! If you have extra pool noodles lying around at home, you could make your pal some other noodle friends!
Each kit comes with:
- pool noodle segment
- two popsicle sticks
- pipe cleaner
- glue (any glue will work, just let fully dry before playing)
- any additions you would like to add!
Each kit comes with a few basics to decorate your pal, but we would love to see how you make them your own! Here are some suggestions for ways to make them your own: decorate with permanent markers, add glitter, add feathers, make hair out of yarn, etc.
Grab & Go kits will be available beginning June 14th while supplies last. Check back throughout the week as we refill our new Creation Station. These craft kits have a sticker indicating that it is a kids’ craft.
Below, I have put together a list of titles about summer crafts and activities. Feel free to reach out to the Youth and Teen Librarians at [email protected] for more recommendations (or to send pictures of your noodle pals)!
Books about summer crafts and activities:
- 10-minute Seasonal Crafts for Summer by Annalees Lim
- Crafts to Make in the Summer by Kathy Ross*
- The Summer Camp Survival Guide: Cool games, camp classics, and how to capture the flag by Chris Pallatto
- The Wild Year Book: Things to do outdoors through the seasons by Fiona Danks*
- Vacation Crafting by Suzanne McNeill*
- A Stick is an Excellent Thing: Poems celebrating outdoor play by Marilyn Singer
*available on Hoopla