The regular meetings of the Board of Trustees of the Deerfield Public Library are open to members of the public. Members of the public have a right to speak at all meetings of the Board of Trustees of the Deerfield Public Library. At each regular and special open meeting, the members of the public may comment on matters germane to Library Board operations, subject to reasonable constraints.
1. Members of the public may address the Board only at the appropriate times as indicated on the agenda and when recognized by the Board President.
2. Comments by members of the public are limited to five minutes per speaker, on a first come, first served basis. The President has the authority to oversee the orderly conduct of comments of the public, including but not limited to, extending the time limit for or order of the speakers.
3. There will be no more than 30 minutes for public comment, except with consent of the Board.
4. Individuals are expected to identify themselves by full name or initials for purposes of determining the order of speakers but shall not have to identify themselves during their public comment.
5. Public comments must pertain to an item on the agenda or to an issue that is relevant to the Board’s work. The President of the Board of Trustees retains the right to stop any speaker who raises issues that are not on the agenda or are not germane to the duties of the Library.
6. Petitions or written correspondence to the Board shall be presented to the Board at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting.
7. The President shall have the authority to determine reasonable procedures regarding public participation not otherwise defined in Board policy.
Adopted: February 15, 2017