Keep up-to-date with your Deerfield Library account on your mobile phone using the Library’s Shoutbomb text messaging service!
- Receive text notices about items available to pick up, items due soon, overdue items, and fines.
- Send a text to request a renewal and receive a text back with the result of your request.
- Send a text to see your account’s expiration date.
The Library does not charge a fee for this service, but your cell phone plan’s regular text messaging rates apply.
PLEASE NOTE: Choosing to use the Shoutbomb service does not change the email or mail notifications you have been receiving from the Library. This service is an additional method of managing your Library account.
What You Need
- A text messaging-capable mobile phone.
- Subscription to text messaging (confirm this with your cell phone service plan).
- The fourteen digit barcode number from your registered library card.
How to Sign Up for the Shoutbomb Service
Sign Up By Phone
1. Send a text message with the keyword signup to 847-243-6987.
2. You will receive a reply asking you for your library card number. If you receive a reply telling you that we could not understand your message, this typically means that the text was typed incorrectly. For example, signup is correct while sign up is not.
3. Reply with only the information requested. If library card number is mistyped or a zero was accidentally omitted, an error message will be received asking for the number once again. If you resend the same number you will not receive a reply. (See “What do I do if I don’t get a reply?” in our FAQ section below for more info.)
4. If the library card number is valid, you will receive a message thanking you for registering.
5. If registration is complete, you will receive a message asking for your email address, which is OPTIONAL to provide. If you don’t want to provide your email, do nothing. If you do provide your email, it will only be used by Shoutbomb if you have support issues that cannot be handled via text messaging.
Text any of these commands to 847-243-6987 for information about your account.
addemail – Request to update user’s profile with an email address.
dropemail – Request to update user’s profile by deleting existing email address.
fees – Toggles notification on or off when fees have been added to your account.
This option is automatically turned off when you register.
help – Request detailed descriptions and how to use each keyword.
hl – Request a list of your items currently on hold.
quit – Turn off the text messaging service.
ra – Request to renew all eligible items.
Add Additional Family Members
addcard – Add additional library cards. Ideal for parents wanting to add their child’s card to their notifications.
Want to know more? Frequently Asked Questions